The San Joaquín Valley is often considered “ground zero” for health and environmental disparities. But the region is also home to organizations that are doing some amazing health- and environmental-related work.
Access to healthy food/obesity:
Clean air and water:
- Community Water Center
- Central Valley Air Quality Coalition
- Californians for Pesticide Reform
- Fresno Metro Ministry
Legal assistance for communities:
Further reading on health in the San Joaquín Valley:
- Breathing, In Dust, Tim Hernández
- Cadillac Desert, Mark Reisner
- The Spirit Catches You and You Fall Down, Anne Fadiman
- West of the West, Mark Arax
Did I leave an organization or a book off this list? Please contact me with suggestions: rplevin(a) vidaenelvalle.com, or @HarvestHealth on Twitter.